A quarter of the population of the enclave that Azerbaijan occupied last week has fled Nagorno-Karabakh, amounting to nearly 30,000 ethnic Armenians.
Hundreds of automobiles are held up on the single road leading into Armenia, the destination of those departing.
Armenia's prime minister asserts that "ethnic cleansing" has begun, whereas Azerbaijan asserts that residents will be secure. Nagorno-Karabakh, acknowledged as a province of Azerbaijan, was administered by ethnic Armenians for thirty years.
The mountainous South Caucasus region has been supported by both Armenia and its ally, Russia.
As the Azerbaijani army advanced, at least 200 ethnic Armenians and dozens of Azerbaijani soldiers were dead. In accordance with a cease-fire agreement, separatists have consented to hand over their weapons.
The Azeris have stated that they wish to treat ethnic Armenians as "equal citizens," but only a limited quantity of aid has been permitted through and many residents have fled.
On Monday, a massive fuel explosion murdered at least 68 individuals who were attempting to escape. Nearly 300 more people were injured, and 105 are still missing.
It is not yet known what caused the explosion that occurred Monday evening near the principal city of Khankendi, also known as Stepanakert by Armenians, but many motorists were filling up their vehicles at the time.
Thousands of ethnic Armenians were subjected to rigorous inspections by Azerbaijani border control on Tuesday as they crossed the frontier.
A government source told sources that Azerbaijan intended to grant amnesty to Armenian fighters who set down their arms in Karabakh.
Azerbaijani authorities claimed they were searching for suspects of "war crimes." "But those who committed war crimes during the Karabakh wars must be handed over to us," they stated.
Hundreds of automobiles and buses are attempting to cross the frontier into Goris.
The owner told the sources that it was struck by mortar fire last week, when Azerbaijan launched a lightning-fast assault to seize control of the region. "But it still got us here," he grins, surrounded by young children.
On the central town square, individuals meander about, uncertain of what to do next. Volunteers distribute essential food items and blankets.
There are registries for evacuees and the occasional vehicle to transport them to another town or village. However, few appear to have a plan beyond reaching this point.
Tuesday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken implored Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev to provide "unconditional protections and freedom of movement for civilians" and demanded "unimpeded humanitarian access to Nagorno-Karabakh."
Secretary General of the United Nations Antonio Guterres also demanded that both parties respect human rights.
Since separatists accepted a ceasefire and agreed to disarm, only one shipment of 70 tonnes of food has been permitted to pass through.
Azerbaijan announced that an additional aid convoy carrying 40 tonnes of flour and urgently required sanitation supplies was en route to the enclave.
According to ethnic Armenian leaders, thousands of people are without food or shelter and are resting in basements, schools, or outdoors.
The Armenian health ministry announced it would dispatch helicopters to evacuate patients from overcrowded facilities in the region. In addition, Azerbaijan claimed to have sent medical provisions.
Azerbaijan has also begun separate negotiations with Karabakh's ethnic Armenian authorities about the region's future.