Sara Sharif: Pakistan court moves siblings to government childcare facility

A magistrate in Pakistan ruled that Sara Sharif's siblings, who traveled to the United Kingdom with her father, must be placed in a government-run daycare center.

Five children were discovered at the residence of their grandfather, who wished to continue to care for them.

Sara, age 10, was discovered dead in her Woking, Surrey, home on August 10, a day after her father, uncle, and stepmother's partner had fled the country.

Sara sustained multiple and extensive injuries according to postmortem examinations.

Father Urfan Sharif, stepmother Beinash Batool, and brother Faisal Malik departed the United Kingdom with five children ranging in age from one to thirteen.

The Surrey Police would like to communicate with you. The Pakistani police have been unable to locate them as of yet.

A judge ordered Sara's five siblings to live at a Pakistani government-run child care on Tuesday. The ruling did not define how long kids could be held in government facilities. It also determines where children will be sent legally.

Family members carried the children into court for 40 minutes surrounded by armed police and local journalists. They were moved from court to court as authorities decided their fate. The children were hurriedly loaded into a police car and taken to another court for a ruling.

Muhammad Sharif, the grandfather of Sara and the father of Urfan Sharif, remained silent as he left court.

Monday, the police removed the children from Mr. Sharif's home in Jhelum before returning them while the courts deliberated.

Mr. Sharif had previously denied contact with his son and knowledge of the family's location.

The sisters of Urfan Sharif told sources that the children were extremely distressed when they were taken from their grandfather's residence. They were sobbing and repeatedly stating that they did not want to leave.

Monday, just before 16:30 local time (12:30 BST), police invaded the residence, according to the sources and eyewitnesses. Neighbors reported that officers halted traffic and prohibited anyone from filming on their phones.

Mr. Sharif accused the police of destroying his home's CCTV cameras and gates. Sara's father, Urfan Sharif, stepmother, Beinash Batool, and uncle, Faisal Malik, were not with the children when they were removed by police.

The police reported that the minors did not resist departure. The police added that the well-being of these five children remains a top priority for them. 

Muhammad Sharif said Friday that he instructed his son to turn himself in.

He also mentioned that the police harassed him and his family, unlawfully imprisoned certain family members, and raided their homes. The police have also been accused of creating charges against them to raise pressure. Police dispute the claim.

The week prior, Sara's stepmother spoke publicly for the first time since the girl's body was discovered. The video also featured Sara's father, who did not speak, while Ms. Batool read from a notebook.

Ms. Batool referred to Sara's passing as "an incident" and stated that she and Urfan Sharif were willing to cooperate with UK authorities.

She said that the reason the family are in hiding is because they fear that the Pakistani police will torture and murder them. Sara's body was discovered following her father's emergency contact from Pakistan, shortly after his arrival in Islamabad.